View Classes By Date ▼
More classes will be added check back
Basic Rider Course
Motorcycle license test wavier card provided upon successful completion.
Our most popular course is designed for beginning riders and riders returning to the sport. Cascade Motorcycle Safety offers courses at locations in the Bellingham and Mount Vernon/Burlington area and offers state subsidized classes to any person with a Washington state driver license (Washington resident) or any person in the military who is stationed here in WA. This class takes 16 hours and includes both classroom and range time. In the classroom we go through several sections including controls, gear (helmets, gloves, suits, boots, etc.) and street strategies (lane positioning, swerving, hazard avoidance, etc.). During the range portion of the class you will get to put the classroom material to work. Using bikes provided by Cascade Motorcycle Safety, you will begin by learning where the controls are, including the speedometer, clutch, turn signals, electric start, front brakes, throttle, neutral light, and kill switch. We will then progress through basic riding skills such as starting, stopping, shifting, and turning. Finally we will run drills that teach hazard avoidance and emergency reaction skills.
What to Bring to Class
To support the safety of all Students WMSP has established requirements for Student dress, all of which must be worn any time a Student is on a motorcycle. Students who fail to meet the following minimum protective gear requirements must not be allowed to participate in on-cycle training:
- Sturdy pants or riding gear that fully cover the legs. (Denim jeans are acceptable.)
- Long-sleeved shirt or jacket that fully covers the arms.
- Sturdy, over-the-ankle footwear offering adequate ankle protection. (i.e. canvas high-tops, or slip-on-boots with elastic (only) ankle covering are not acceptable).
- Full-fingered gloves, preferably leather-palmed, offering adequate protection.
- Eye protection (face shield, goggles, safety glasses, eyeglasses, or sunglasses) must be worn at any time while upon a moving motorcycle.
- Properly fitted US DOT (49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.218) compliant helmet that is free of any structural damage. (This includes
- Contractor, Instructor, or Student provided helmets). Notes: Contractor provided loaner helmets must be US DOT (49 C.F.R. Sec. 571.218) compliant and free of structural damage. Sanitary disposable liners (aka “hair cap”, “nurse cap, “bouffant cap”) will be provided for Student/Test Taker use whenever a contractor provided helmet is used.
Class Dismissal Warnings
Students may be dismissed from the course if they:
- Demonstrate they are unable to safely control and operate a motorcycle/rig.
- Do not meet exercise objectives.
- Repeatedly do not respond to coaching.
- Intentionally commit unsafe acts
- Are demonstrating impairment by drugs/alcohol WMSP POLICY AND PROCEDURES MANUAL: 3.0 – TRAINING 3.0 – TRAINING
- Are excessively fatigued and may present a safety risk
- Are physically/emotionally impaired
- Intimidate, sexually harass, or threaten Students or Instructors WMSP will not engage, mediate, or suggest customer service solutions to customers. Contractors are solely responsible for managing their business. Customer service policies and options are all locally (Contractor) managed decisions.
Cascade Motorcycle Safety reserves the right to combine classes to meet our minimum number of students per class requirement or to cancel or postpone a class due to circumstances beyond our control.
Cancellation & Completion Policies:
If you need to reschedule your class we must hear from you NO less than 7 days prior to the class start date/hour. If you don’t contact us or call at least 7 days before your class starts, any money paid for a class will be forfeit and there will be NO refunds. Any refunds given are subject to a $10.00 handling fee. While our staff will do as much as possible to help you learn to ride safely we can not guarantee that you will pass the class and receive an endorsement.