Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between the full price and the subsidized course?

The state allocates us a certain amount of subsidy money to use for Safety classes. We try to offer some seats in each class that are subsidized each weekend. Those seats are limited and cost $125.00. The unsubsidized cost is $260.00 for the seat in a BRC and $200.00 for the IRT. If you are a Washington resident or active duty military or a dependent you qualify for the subsidized class (if there are any left in that class).

How do I qualify for the subsidized class?

Any person who has a valid WA state Drivers Lic, WA state ID, Student ID, or Active Duty Military can qualify for a subsidized class. There are only a limited number of subsidized seats in each class.

What riding gear do I need to take the course?

The following equipment is required for both all courses:

  • DOT approved helmet(small supply is available)
  • Eye protection (face shield, sunglasses, etc.)
  • Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear (think function not fashion)
    • (i.e. canvas high-tops, or slip-on-boots with elastic (only) ankle coverings are not acceptable.)
  • Full fingered gloves or motorcycle riding gloves
  • Long sleeve shirt or jacket
  • Long pants
Will I still have to take a test at the DOL to get my endorsement?

No. By successfully completing a BRC or IRT class, you will receive a course completion card that allows you, within 180 days, to add a motorcycle endorsement to your driver license without any further testing at DOL. However, you will still be required to pay the DOL fee to have the endorsement added to your license. To keep your endorsement at license renewal time, you will also need to renew your endorsement each time.

How long is the course?

The courses vary in time. To view the times and schedules, go to our class page by clicking here.

What if it rains, will there still be class?

You betcha! Our classes will run rain or shine. Students are responsible to dress accordingly bringing clothing/gear appropriate for the weather. (i.e. rain gear and/or extra layers for cold weather)

If I am an experienced rider, which class should I take?

The BBBRC and UBBRC classes are for experienced riders who want to take a course on their own bikes to practice and refresh/renew skills and techniques. If you have your own motorcycle, you MUST bring a TCLOCKS safety inspection and proof of insurance. If you are unsure of what class to take please call our office for advice.

Do I need to bring my motorcycle to take the BRC or IRT course?

The Basic Rider Course (BRC) and the Intermediate Rider Training course (IRT) do not require you to own your own motorcycle. We will provide training motorcycles for you.

If you have your own motorcycle, you MUST bring a TCLOCKS safety inspection, proof of insurance, and proof of ownership.

If you are unsure if you can bring your own motorcycle please call our office for clarification.

Do I need a motorcycle permit to take the course?

No you do not. However, if you are interested in operating a motorcycle on the public roadways, you’ll have to start with a motorcycle instruction permit. The permit is valid for 90 days. To apply for the motorcycle permit, you must be at least 16 years of age, have a Washington State Drivers License and pass a written test on motorcycle operation. While learning to ride you may not carry passengers, and you may not ride a motorcycle during the hours of darkness. If you are under 18 years old you will need your parents/guardian permission to get a permit.

For more information go to: www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/motorcycles.html

Do I get my Motorcycle endorsement after I complete the course?

By successfully completing a BRC or IRT class, you will receive a course completion card that allows you, within 180 days , to add a motorcycle endorsement to your driver license without any further testing at DOL. For further information, please visit: www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/motoendorsement.html

What type of motorcycles will I be riding in the beginner course?

The types of motorcycles will vary over time, but some of the bikes we currently use at Cascade Motorcycle Safety are:

  • 200cc Yamaha TW200 (Dual Sport)
  • 125cc Kawasaki Eliminator (Standard)
  • 250cc Yamaha XT250 (Dual Sport)
  • 250cc Suzuki TU250 (Standard)
What if I don't have any experience or want to see if motorcycling is for me?

We offer a Jumpstart course that introduces motorcycle controls and basic riding skills in a slow paced and relaxed environment. We also offer the Basic Rider Course (BRC) that is designed for students with little, or no, experience. This course introduces the risks of cycling, personal protective gear, basic riding skills and control, street strategies, and hazard avoidance.

Where can I buy the riding gear that I need?

We recommend you check out our partners by clicking here. Each one of our partners carries a full line of protective gear and has knowledgeable staff that would be happy to assist you with your riding needs.

How do I sign up?

Check the schedule on this website for availabilities. Go to our registration page and purchase a class to secure your spot. Waiver forms and any other information you’ll need will be available at the start of class.

What about a 3-wheel (sidecar or trike) course for endorsement?

CMS does not currently offer the S/TEP course (Sidecar/Trike Education Program). Please contact Evergreen Safety Council at 800-521-0778.

What are the Cancellation & Completion Policies

If you need to reschedule your class we must hear from you NO less than 7 days prior to the class start date/hour. If you don’t contact us or call at least 7 days before your class starts, any money paid for a class will be forfeited and there will be NO refunds. Any refunds given are subject to a $10.00 handling fee. While our staff will do as much as possible to help you learn to ride safely we can not guarantee that you will pass the class and receive an endorsement.