2&3 Wheel Testing

How to get your endorsement or permit:

There are 2 ways to get a motorcycle endorsement:


Pass the Knowledge and Riding Skills Tests

You can take the tests at Cascade Motorcycle Safety’s Burlington or Bellingham locations.

When you pass the knowledge test, you may apply for an instruction permit to ride on public roadways. To apply for a permit, bring your pink test score sheet to a driver licensing office.

After you pass the knowledge and riding tests, bring your green score sheet to any driver licensing office within 180 days of passing the tests to get your motorcycle endorsement.


Successfully Complete a Motorcycle Skills Course

The safety course will include the knowledge and riding skills tests to get your endorsement.

After you pass the safety course, bring your course completion card to any driver licensing office within 180 days to get your motorcycle endorsement.

This class is for advanced motorcycle riders. If you are a beginner or intermediate rider, please click here.

You must bring:

  • A current registration and license plate for the vehicle.
  • A valid form of photo identification.
  • You must wear the minimum protective equipment including:
    • Eye protection (glasses, goggles, or faceshield) unless the vehicle has a windshield.
    • A helmet compliant to US DOT requirements.

At a minimum, the registered and currently license plated motorcycle must be checked to have:

  • Reasonable tire tread, with no embedded objects, that are are not significantly under-inflated.
  • No fuel, oil, or fluid leaks that will compromise the safety of the rider or others.
  • Functional brakes.

Minors must satisfactorily complete an approved rider course before you can apply for a motorcycle endorsement.
You must have parental permission to take the course, and to apply for the endorsement. Minors may obtain a motorcycle permit. See Motorcycle Instruction Permits.

If you’re a non-resident stationed in Washington on active military duty
1. Successfully complete an state-approved safety course at a motorcycle training school or a military base.
2. Bring your course completion card to any driver licensing office within 180 days to get your motorcycle endorsement.

To apply for a motorcycle instruction permit, you must:

  • Be at least 16 years old.
  • Have a valid Washington State driver license.
  • Pass the knowledge test on motorcycle operation.
  • If you are under 18 years old, have a parent or guardian sign the consent form when you apply.

Rules for riding with a permit

While riding with an instruction permit on a public roadway:

  • You may not carry passengers.
  • You may not ride a motorcycle during the hours of darkness.

If you need to renew your permit

Permits are valid for 90 days. You can renew your permit 1 time for an additional 90 days by visiting a driver licensing office and paying a $20.00 renewal fee.

  • To qualify to renew your permit, you must have:
    • Passed the knowledge test less than 2 years ago, and
    • Had no more than 1 permit in the past 5 years.
  • If you don’t meet these qualifications, you can’t renew your permit. You’ll need to retake the knowledge test and get a new one.

Any additional information can be found on the WA state DOL site at: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/motorcycles.html